Saturday, May 16, 2009

Very Delayed Training Update

Many apologies for the week's of no posting. But there's lotsa good news for this post!

1. The "Team" this summer has raised $667,420 to date! How amazingly awesome is that? 400+ of us recommitted to Seattle RNR and we'll be putting on shoes for the race. My goal of $1000 has unofficially been met, still waiting on a matching donation to go through. We need more funds though so you can still donate at my fundraising webpage: http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/rnrseatl09/awestwood.

2. Training in OK was amazing too. I got some awesome runs in of durations I never expected and almost met my 125 mile goal for the month. Unfortunately I seem to have overtrained and am now battling shinsplints. Coach Shelby says he can "dig it out" which worries me a little but I'm looking forward to finishing this marathon and hope to put in a reasonable time (for me that is).

I was riding my bike today and reflecting on this morning's mission moment delivered by Jackson. He lost his father to a blood disorder and was on an opposite coast from him during his illness. He joined Team in Training to do something positive to help other's like his dad. He related that when he got the call that his father passed away he laced up and headed out for a run. When he got to his run destination there was a "Team" there preparing for a training run, so he connected with them and mourned with "family" that morning. After having not trained with the team in several weeks I was eager to get back there this morning and Jackson's story really struck a cord with me. I personally have lost one person relatively close to me to a blood disorder. It more affected my mom than anyone else in the family as it was her best friend. When I joined TNT it was really for more selfish reasons. I needed a motivator to lose weight and I figured I could fundraise for a good cause at the same time. I figured if I was going to get something out of it I should give back. I did raise the money and didn't lose the weight but I finally realized today the many more things I did get. I've completed a marathon and not just one but two, also I've completed three half marathons and am now considering doing a triathlon. I've been known to be a "quitter" when things get tough. I think more than anyone I expected to quit running too. If you follow my training stats that would certainly seem the case. 2008 stunk as far as mileage goes. But 2009 was a bit of a renaissance for me. Training is great, I'm biking to work and I have an extended "family" that I don't think I really connected with until this year. It's been great seeing everyone on Saturday's and I'm really blessed with the new connections I've made: Stacey, Heather, Alexxx, Amy, Kim, Rebecca and getting to know Gerb better, just to name a few. The fellowship really centers a person and makes you realize why we do this. I've gained more than the $10,000 plus I've raised in friendship, fitness and motivation. I've learned that the only limitations I have are the ones I put on myself and over the years I've put "a Lot" of limitations on myself. So if you believe there's something you can't accomplish then you're probably right, but not for the reasons you think. You can accomplish whatever you set out too as long as you set out to accomplish it.

GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment