Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wine, wine, wine, all you do is Brew...

So this week's run was in Columbia Valley Wine Country and we started from Redhook Brewery. Temps were okay at 45-50F and the rain managed to wait until the end of the run. One thing I forgot about this trail..it's abutted by a river and so there tends to be a lot of slugs, especially when it rains, which was apropos as I was feeling very sluggish today. As the fam was already at Grandma's for Easter I was home alone and the peace of the house plus the warm bed sure made it a challenge to rise at 545am on Saturday, but I did it and boy was I glad that I did...and why do you ask (I'm sure you were going to)? Because today the coaches and mentors planned something really cool. And had it not rained I would have tried to get some pics but alas was not in the cards...anywhoo, the really cool thing they did today was the Mission Mile. And what is this you ask? I'll tell you...for the first mile of our run today we walked in silence and on the trail was inscribed the names of all those we were running for. It was a bit overwhelming to see all the names on the trail and to think about the battles these people had to fight to survive and those that had to fight only to lose. It was a very humbling journey and made me feel lucky to be able to be there doing what I am doing to raise awareness and money. Speaking of money, I'm very close to my minimum goal of $1000. If you haven't had an opportunity yet to donate please go to my page at: http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/rnrseatl09/awestwood

Otherwise as far as training goes, lately has been really awesome. I've been managing to get good recovery runs in on Sundays. During the week I've been managing to get up before work on Tuesday and Thursday when I've been getting just over 4 miles in. It's really affected my energy and I'm looking forward to sticking with this for awhile. I get my hill workouts in on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm hoping to get a good morning run in and then walk in the evening with Pam, one of our mentors. Wednesdays hopefully I can start getting a run in at lunch with the running club at work. Tuesdays I do yoga at lunch with the yoga club and its been great! Look forward to another long run with the team next Saturday, then we head out to Oklahoma for a two week visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment